Italian Afternoon Tea is a charming twist on the classic British tradition, offering a delightful way to indulge in sweet and savory Italian treats in the afternoon. While not as widespread as its British counterpart, it’s becoming increasingly popular, particularly in countries with a strong Italian influence. Here’s a taste of what you can expect:
- Tramezzini: These triangular sandwiches, named “in between” as they are enjoyed between meals, are typically filled with Italian staples like cured meats, cheeses, pesto, and vegetables. Think prosciutto and mozzarella,bresaola and rocket, or roasted peppers and artichoke hearts.
- Mini Focaccia: These bite-sized versions of the Ligurian flatbread come in various toppings, from rosemary and olive oil to sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Arancini: Crispy fried rice balls filled with savory ingredients like ragù,mozzarella, and peas are a delightful finger food.
- Bruschetta: Toasted bread drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh tomato, basil, and garlic is a light and refreshing start to the tea.
- Salumi and Formaggi: A selection of cured meats and cheeses, such as prosciutto, salami, mortadella, pecorino, and gorgonzola, is a classic Italian antipasto enjoyed with crusty bread.
- Panna Cotta: This creamy Italian custard comes in various flavors like vanilla,strawberry, or caramel, often topped with fresh fruit or fruit coulis.
- Tiramisu: The classic coffee-flavored ladyfingers layered with mascarpone cheese is a must-have for any Italian dessert spread.
- Cannoli: Crispy pastry shells filled with ricotta cream and flavored with citrus zest, pistachios, or chocolate chips are a delightful treat.
- Sfogliatelle: A flaky pastry filled with ricotta and candied fruit, this Neapolitan classic is a delicious combination of textures and flavors.
- Biscotti: These twice-baked almond cookies are perfect for dunking in tea or coffee.
- Tea or Coffee: Choose from a variety of Italian teas, like black tea with lemon,or indulge in an espresso or cappuccino.
- Prosecco: Many Italian Afternoon Teas offer a glass of Prosecco for a truly celebratory afternoon.
- Ambiance: Expect a relaxed and elegant atmosphere, often with Italian music playing softly in the background.
Where to Find an Italian Afternoon Tea:
- Italy: Several hotels and restaurants in major cities like Rome, Milan, and Florence offer Italian Afternoon Tea experiences.
- UK: Many establishments, particularly those with Italian influences, are starting to offer their own versions of Italian Afternoon Tea.
- North America: Cities with large Italian communities often have restaurants or cafes offering variations of this delightful tradition.
Tips for Enjoying Your Italian Afternoon Tea:
- Dress comfortably and elegantly.
- Come with an appetite and be prepared to savor the different flavors and textures.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions about the food and beverages.
- Relax and enjoy the experience!
WonderDays offers Italian Afternoon Tea experiences at various locations across the UK, providing a delightful opportunity to savor Italian culinary delights without having to travel to Italy. Here’s a breakdown of what you can expect:
- Savory Treats: Typically expect a selection of 3-4 savory items, including:
- Tramezzini: Filled with Italian staples like prosciutto and mozzarella,bresaola and rocket, or roasted peppers and artichoke hearts.
- Mini Focaccia: Topped with rosemary and olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes and mozzarella, or other flavorful combinations.
- Arancini: Filled with ragù, mozzarella, and peas, offering a crispy and savory indulgence.
- Bruschetta: Toasted bread drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh tomato, basil, and garlic.
- Additional options: Depending on the specific location, you might find other savory treats like cured meats and cheeses or mini pizzas.
- Sweet Treats: Enjoy a selection of 3-4 sweet treats, including:
- Panna Cotta: Vanilla, strawberry, or caramel flavored, often topped with fresh fruit or fruit coulis.
- Tiramisu: The classic coffee-flavored ladyfingers layered with mascarpone cheese.
- Cannoli: Crispy pastry shells filled with ricotta cream and flavored with citrus zest, pistachios, or chocolate chips.
- Sfogliatelle: A flaky pastry filled with ricotta and candied fruit.
- Biscotti: Perfect for dunking in tea or coffee.
- Additional options: Some locations might offer additional sweet treats like mini pastries or cakes.
- Choose from a selection of teas or coffee. Some locations might offer prosecco as an optional add-on.
- Enjoy your Italian Afternoon Tea in a relaxed and elegant setting, often with Italian music playing in the background.
- The experience typically lasts around 1.5 hours, providing ample time to savor the food and drinks and enjoy the company.
- This is a great option for a special occasion, a catch-up with friends, or simply a treat for yourself.
Things to Consider:
- The price varies depending on the location and any additional options you choose.
- Check the specific details of the experience at your chosen location, as the menu and inclusions might differ slightly.
- You can usually book your experience online through the WonderDays website.
Here are some additional details about WonderDays Italian Afternoon Tea locations:
- Availability: Available at various locations across the UK, including London,Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, and more.
- Price: Starting from around £35 per person.
- Group Size: Available for 2-6 people.
Overall, WonderDays Italian Afternoon Tea offers a convenient and affordable way to experience the delights of Italian cuisine in a charming setting. If you’re looking for a unique and enjoyable afternoon tea experience, it’s definitely worth considering!